Student tips on how to how to raise grades

Advice from a variety of teen voices

Online school may be the new normal for students, but the challenge of how to do well remains  just as when we were actually in classrooms: How do we keep our grades up?

“The Talon,” the student news site for Clayton Valley Charter High School, sought out students for their advice on how to keep your grades top notch. They were asked: 

What tips do you have for students who would like to raise their grades?”

Lily Webster, junior: “Staying consistent with your work ethic and completing your assignments the day they are assigned is a good way to not fall behind. … You wouldn’t want to do an assignment last minute because then there is more pressure and stress on your end, when instead, you could just get it over with and never have to think about it anymore.”

Makena Cooper, sophomore: “Always make sure that you complete everything on time; that way nothing will be marked late or missing and no zeros will be given.”

Allison Pamer, junior: “Studying helps a lot, and if you don’t understand something, do NOT give up! Look on YouTube for videos to help; go to office hours; email your teacher; or see our homework help mentors. All these things are given to you for no cost because CV wants to see everyone succeed.” 

Grecia Davila, junior: “I advise the students who are looking to raise their grades to reach out to teachers for help and to buy a planner. When you have low grades in a class, it’s most likely that you’re not understanding the material, especially during distance learning. Teachers have scheduled office hours to help and support students, so take advantage of that opportunity. The planner can help you organize your academics, personal life, and extracurriculars. You should list what assignments are due on which date to avoid late work and marked zeros.” 

Nia Williams, senior: “Definitely turn in your work and be in communication with your teachers at all times. Even if you missed an assignment or you didn’t do well on a test and don’t think they’ll allow you to retake it, still reach out. You never know and it’s always worth it to get that step ahead and get the help you need.” 

Sophia Ringer, senior: “Be sure to make and stick to a schedule. Going to office hours and homework help are great ways to grasp concepts which you might not understand.

Helen Rivera, junior: “Go to office hours if you are having trouble with your classes. Your teachers are your best source, and maybe even ask a few classmates if they can walk you through the subjects as well.” 

To summarize, get help if you need it. It will be worth it in the long run. Go to office hours for whichever class you may be struggling with. 

The suggestion to go to a homework mentor is good advice because students your own age are willing to help you out with anything you may be confused on, and sometimes it can be more comfortable student to student rather than teacher to student at times. 

As Davila noted, a planner is very useful for many people. You can remind yourself not to forget to do these assignments, as well as write down the next ones coming up in the near future. All these resources are then easy to access — at your fingertips and ready to go.

This article first appeared in The Talon, the student news site of Clayton Valley Charter High School in Concord.